Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The hit isn't always the best song: 3 Songs from The Angels

Am not sure if radio programmers are responsible for this, but many times I find the best songs from an artist are the songs that are NOT hits. Am perfectly willing to admit that there might be the "I'm sick and tired of this crap", syndrome. However, in doing some research today, my theory comes back the fore.

The Angels had a half dozen hits in the early/middle 60's, with by far the most popular being, "My Boyfriend's Back" (1963).


They never had a strong follow up from a chart standpoint, but their last hit was called, "Wow Wow Wee (He's The Boy For Me)" (1964).  I found myself loving this song, and just as much fun as anything they had put out before. It reached #41 before fading out.


Three years passed without a recording, although the ladies kept busy singing background vocals on different recordings, probably the best known being, "Lighting Strikes" by Lou Christie....but for my ears...the best was yet to come.

The Angels signed with RCA in 1967 and reappeared with a more sophisticated sound. This didn't equate to any chart action, but one of the last releases just floored me and made me ask the question, "Why didn't this chart?". Here's "Boy With The Green Eyes", from 1968.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment