Friday, September 23, 2011

Bruce Springsteen--Born to Run (1975)

     In the grand history of rock and roll, there were probably albums that were as important, The Who's, "Who's Next", and The Rolling Stones', "Sticky Fingers" are a couple that come immediately to mind. But both bands had made their initial mark in the late 60's and will always be identified with that era. However, in my mind, the album that made the biggest impact by a 70's era act was "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen".

      His two previous albums had been very well received by critics, but hadn't really taken hold by the listening public. The next album was truly a make or break one, and it sounded like it. The sprawling production, the grand themes and the desperate optimism of the subjects in his songs came across the speakers literally bigger than life. As far as singles go, Bruce would find greater success in later years, as his music and lyrical vision sharpened is focus, but beginning with the FM crowd, the release of this album was like a bomb going off.

     Frankly, this was not only my favorite Bruce album, but I still think it's the best one he ever made. As he soon began to straddle himself between a singles machine and our generation's version of Bob Dylan or Woody Guthrie, he seemed to lose me on both sides. But the sound of those opening drums still excite me and remind me that I might not have been there to see Elvis or the Beatles on TV, but I heard Bruce Springsteen's coming out party, and that's not bad at all....

0 comments:

Post a Comment