Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Three Degrees--When Will I See You Again (1974)

     The Three Degrees began in 1963 out of Philadelphia, and was discovered (and managed) by Richard Barrett. The original lineup was Fayette Pinkney, Shirley Porter, and Linda Turner, although Pinkney was the only one who was still around at the time of this recording (she left soon afterward however and was replaced by Helen Scott).

      Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff wrote this song, and Shelia Ferguson recalled that when Kenny first played it for her she was unimpressed. "....I threw a tantrum. I screamed and yelled and said I would never sing it. I thought it was ridiculously insulting to be given such a simple song and that it took no talent to sing it. We did do it and several million copies later, I realized that he knew more than me." There time on the charts was done by the late 70's, but continued recording regularly into the mid-80's and still tours today (with a different set of woman).

0 comments:

Post a Comment